Saturday, May 31, 2008

I'm growing a garden for the squirrels...

or so they think. I have never, ever, had a problem with the squirrels in the neighborhood. I don't know what it is this year. As soon as my seedlings poke their leaves through the soil, the squirrels just help themselves. And I mean, to everything. I'm lucky enough if they don't eat the whole stem and maybe leave a leaf or two so that the plant can recover. It's so sad. You literally spend hours staring at the soil, waiting for the seeds to emerge. They finally make their triumphant appearance, and the next day when you go to check on how much they've grown...nothing. Or worse, the squirrels leave behind a little bitty stem so you can see where your plant would have been. I already had to buy two more seed packets of Cosmos and Zinnias this year because they've eaten so many. I was standing over my garden this afternoon, seriously considering scattering store bought lettuce all over my garden in hopes that they'd choose to munch on that instead. They'd probably just round up their friends and tell them they hit the jackpot though.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Right there with ya on the squirrel business sista. How can something so cute be so evil??

Barbee' said...

I wonder if sprinkling a little blood meal about would scare them off. Maybe around the perimeter. Would have to reapply after a rain, I guess. I have heard of people using it to scare off chipmunks.

If you do use it, just remember it is pure nitrogen in an organic form. But, you probably already know all that.