Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I've done it again...

I love starting plants from seed. It's so much more gratifying knowing that you are the reason those little guys made it out of the seed packet, and into their proper home. I've learned to plant only as much as I need because when it comes time to thin the seeds out, I just don't have the heart to do it. I've learned to shield them from the squirrels that love to dig for little seed treasures in pots I've placed all over the back yard. I've learned that I can turn my backyard into a butterfly haven for the cost of four packs of zinna seeds. What I haven't learned is to trust them.


I find myself digging up the seeds I've sown, year after year. Why? To see if they've started growing yet. The germination chart on the back of my birdhouse gourd seeds estimate 14-21 days to germination. I planted them 9 days ago. But I've done it again. I've already dug them up three times. I've searched the garden forums for others in the same position as myself. My seeds just won't germinate. I've resorted to covering the pots with plastic wrap to warm up the soil temperature. Maybe they're too cold. Maybe I did something wrong. Maybe they just won't germinate at all. What I have to remind myself year after year is....maybe you just need to wait the 14-21 days for them to germinate. And they will. Because that's what they do.



1 comment:

Barbee' said...

Your goard birdhouse turned out most attractive, perfect I would say.

Someone else posted about digging up seeds and a plant to see why they weren't growing better. So you aren't alone in that :)

At least you have learned not to plant too many seeds. Oh, me, I over-did it. My post,
"A Packet of Seeds Makes a Lot of Plants"

Enjoyed my visit!