Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The labor of my fruits...

A neighbor of my mother-in-law grew these birdhouse gourds two summers ago. It took over a whole side of her yard, climbed up the telephone pole, and out over the road on the phone lines. They are known to be aggressive growers. I've been warned about this, but it's actually what I want to happen. I need something to cover up the badly peeling paint on the garage of the house we rent. I want that old clothesline to have a purpose. Gourds suspended in the air of my backyard is my crazy goal of the summer.


This all started one night two weeks ago, when I was cleaning out the laundry room. I came across the gourd that was given to us two years ago. As I picked it up, it rattled like a maraca. The seeds had all dried out inside, and it was ready to be made into a birdhouse. After testing out the sound quality (I was home alone) and debating whether or not I should sacrifice my new maraca for a birdhouse, I decided to cut it open. Out poured about 75 strangely shaped white seeds, which I quickly searched online to see if they were viable to plant. After discovering that only brown seeds will grow, I started to work on my new birdhouse.



I filed the hole I cut out in front with sandpaper, and it actually looked good. I then sanded the whole outside, and wiped it down. I dug my husband's acrylic paints out of the cabinet, and tried my luck mixing paint for the color I had in mind. It turned out fluorescent green. At this point, I figured that would be the base coat. While it was drying, I grabbed the flashlight and ventured outside to find the perfect perch in the dark. I cut a few branches off of the dying peach tree, and brought them inside. My husband had since come home from watching Ironman at the theater with his brother, so I recruited his art school skills to mix the color I wanted. He did it first shot, and after we put the final coat on, sprayed it with lacquer and drilled drainage holes in the bottom, this is what we ended up with. If all goes well, we will have a yard full of these next year!

No comments: