Wednesday, May 28, 2008

A gourd day...

I woke up yesterday, made a cup of tea, and headed outside for my usual seedling scouting rounds. The Dill was getting taller, my Thyme still isn't growing past the cotyledon stage, and the Sweet Peas and Morning Glories were about ready to be transplanted. And....a Birdhouse Gourd seed had finally sprouted! So, for my first seedling, the germination time was about 16 days. And there's another one right behind it. I planted about 15 seeds, and so far I think I might get about three out of it. Not too good, but enough to grow some gourds I hope!



Another new plant that I am trying to grow from seed this year is Pennisetum glaucum, Ornamental Millet 'Purple Majesty Hybrid'. It is an annual ornamental grass that has deep maroon/purple leaves with reddish veins. It grows to about 4 feet high, and three feet wide. I used to think ornamental grass was tacky. I recently took a class on herbaceous plants, and was required to learn about them. I still didn't like them much. Then, I was scouring the TV Guide for garden shows to record, and found one from P. Allen Smith called Garden Design. He showed how you can combine ornamental grasses with annuals to create a colorful backdrop and added texture. All of a sudden, grasses became functional to me. While I still don't like them by themselves, I think I may have discovered a use for them that works for me. I planted some a few days ago in the corners of the yard, and behind my zinnia border. I also started a new cosmos border in the front yard, so I put a few in the back of that as well. Because I don't know if I'll be able to ID the little seedling, I planted one in a pot by itself so I could see what it looks like. So far, that's the only one that's come up so far, but I'm sure the others will be right behind it. I'm not going to go dig them up though. I think grass pretty much knows how to grow.


Here's a pic of my lil' Dill, and one of my Sweet Pea seedlings that I'm hoping to train up the trellis I got at the dollar store.

1 comment:

Barbee' said...

You surly have a lot going on in your place. I am wondering (didn't see it mentioned so far): where do you garden? You did mention being near the water. I am in Kentucky, USA, and that is zone 6. Not the best place in the world to try to garden :(