Sunday, June 1, 2008

Surprise!

I was outside this evening weeding along the border of my garden which rests up against the walkway. They were tiny weeds, but seeing as it's still early in the season, I'm up on my game. It's the weeding later in the season that I tend to allow to go for a bit longer. Anyways, as I was pulling up the tiny weeds, I discovered my surprise of the season. Every year something re-seeds itself and starts growing where I didn't plant it. This year, as I was about to pull up a handful of little weeds, I noticed these frilly parsley-like patterned leaves. I rubbed my fingers on the leaves and discovered I have Cilantro! For free! My garden present of the year. I also discovered little tiny Basil plants that had seeded themselves. So I dug up a bunch of them and replanted them in a patch of the garden where I will be sure to consider them my little plant miracles, instead of weeds. Funny enough, they are right underneath the one handed Jesus and Mary statues that my husband purchased at a very steep discount. Last year my surprise was a bunch of cherry tomato seedlings. Two years ago the squirrels gave me a rad pumpkin plant that produced three pumpkins. This year we have Cilantro and Basil.

Another not so fun surprise I received while I was investigating my free bounty was my 2nd, 3rd, and 4th mosquito bites. I guess it's time to stop counting them. Mosquito season has begun. Surprise, surprise...

No comments: