Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Growing...

Sorry for the lack of blogging lately. I started my summer classes at school and unfortunately have been reading tons of literature and business. Boring. I can't wait for the fall when I start my Horticulture classes again. I was also planning a 30th birthday party for my husband, which was last Sunday.

So, back to business. The squash, zucchini and cucumber garden has been growing like crazy! I just put some organic fertilizer in it today, so it should take off even more. It's crazy what a LOT of rain and a week of 95 degree temperatures can do for a garden. Everything shot up so fast!
5/28/08
6/9/08
6/17/08
I also planted some beets, carrots, and small ornamental gourds in the garden on the side of the house that I finally got cleared out and turned over. (I know, a little late for that, but whenever I find an empty space with perfectly good garden soil, something's gotta go there!) I've never planted beets or carrots before, and I figured they would do well there because the soil is really light and airy. Unfortunately there's a Rose-of-Sharon in the corner there that LOVES to reseed itself constantly. Whoever doesn't believe that plant isn't invasive, come to my house. It is trying to reseed everywhere. I actually found one growing about 4 feet up along the fence line. Sigh. Pretty bush, but a pain in the butt!

The tomatoes have grown about a foot in the last two weeks, and are starting to flower. I'm debating pinching off the flowers until they get a little bit bigger, but I have never done that before. Does anyone have any advice/experience with this? Does it really make a difference in the strength of the plant?


We also ate our first salad with the Mesclun from the garden. Yum! We tried to recreate a recipe from one of our favorite restaurants, and it turned out pretty well. Homemade sweet potato fries on the bottom (sounds weird, but delicious) mesclun, gorgonzola cheese, cherry tomatoes, cucumbers, and marinated grilled steak slices all mixed with Vidalia Onion salad dressing. Wicked! I forgot to take a picture of the finished product because I was starving, but I took a pic of the greens.

No comments: